Job Title: Cognitive Performance Specialist
FLSA Status: Exempt
Cognitive Performance is an interdisciplinary field spanning kinesiology, psychology, and motor learning and control. The contractor shall train SOF personnel, with the priority on SOF Operators and Direct Combat Support personnel, to develop and use the cognitive skills necessary to perform optimally in training and operations. The contractor shall provide and perform the following services in support of POTFF’s HP program for SOF personnel, with the priority on SOF Operators and Direct Combat Support personnel:
• Based on evidence-based peer-reviewed literature train and educate SOF personnel, in individual and group settings, in specific cognitive, mental, behavioral, psychosocial, perceptual, learning, adaptive thinking, human engagements, and emotional control skills, strategies – including understanding, acquisition, and retention – performance improvement and maintenance with documentation of work performed, implemented, and provided to SOF personnel.
• Assist and advise the HP program Manager and/or Coordinator in matters relating to mental performance, exercise and sports psychology.
• Provide information about mental performance, exercise and sports psychology factors in sports, exercise, and physical activity.
• Train and educate on goal-setting, performance profiling, visualization, performance development, and planning.
• Participate in periodic meetings to review human performance training provided to patients and identify opportunities for improvement.
• Attend and participate in meetings with other POTFF staff members and medical personnel as requested and/or required. Collaborate with the HP staff to enhance the quality and effectiveness of mental and human performance development and expertise delivered.
• Conduct periodic literature reviews to ensure HP stays current with the provision of care.
• Support research conducted under supervision of the HP program Manager and/or Coordinator.
• Assist the HP program Manager and/or Coordinator in developing and maintaining practice guidelines to ensure consistency of service across all Human Performance Training Centers (HPTCs).
• Develop and promulgate training materials as requested and required by the HP program Manager and/or Coordinator.
• Participate in periodic in-service training for members of the HP Staff.
• Perform other tasks, within the scope of the MPS position description, as assigned by the HP program Manager and/or Coordinator.
• Collect and report all data as requested by the HP program Manager and/or Coordinator and required by USSOCOM HQ and its POTFF staff.
• Document work performed, utilization, referrals, and all other information in the HP Enterprise-wide database (i.e., SPEAR), as directed by HP program Manager and/or Coordinator and required by USSOCOM HQ and its POTFF staff.
• Literately utilize computers, software, and technologies as required and requested by the HP program Manager and/or Coordinator and required by USSOCOM HQ and its POTFF staff.
The contractor shall possess a Master’s degree (Doctoral degree preferred) in Human Performance, Kinesiology, or Exercise Science, and/or Sport Sciences with a specialization in Sport Psychology. Certification as a Certified Consultant through the Association for Applied Sport Psychology (CC-AASP) is desired, but not required. The contractor shall be capable of properly lift and manipulate loads or weights up to 25 kilograms and capable of meeting physical demands of training with SOF including the ability to hike over rough terrain, function in austere environments and on various fixed or rotary wing aircraft, waterborne craft, or ground transport to observe SOF training evolutions and to conduct training and education. The contractor shall have a minimum of 5 years or more of demonstrable accumulated experience (continuous and sustained experience preferred) as a mental performance coach or Sport Psychologist with individual athletes and groups of athletes at the levels of NCAA Collegiate, Olympic, professional sports, and/or SOF Operators in the accompanying, respective settings.
EOE, Veterans & Disabled