Sports Psychology is an interdisciplinary field spanning kinesiology, psychology, and motor learning and control. The Mental Performance Specialist contractor shall train SOF (Special Operations Forces) personnel to develop and use the psychological skills necessary to perform optimally in training and operations, realize their potential, and increase their overall physical and emotional well-being. The Mental Performance Specialist shall perform the following responsibilities:
- Teaches SOF personnel specific mental, behavioral, psychosocial, perceptual, and emotional control skills and strategies to improve performance during training and operational evolutions.
- Advises the HPP Manager and SMO in matters relating to mental performance, exercise and sports psychology.
- Provides psychological advice to SOF personnel based on evidence-based peer-reviewed literature.
- Provides information about psychological factors in sports, exercise, and physical activity to individuals and groups.
- Assists the HPP Staff with goal-setting, performance profiling, visualization, and performance planning.
- Participates in periodic meetings to review human performance training provided to patients and identifies opportunities for improvement.
- Collaborates throughout the HPP to enhance the quality and effectiveness of mental and human performance development and expertise delivered.
- Conducts periodic literature reviews to ensure the HPP stays current with the provision of care.
- Supports research conducted under supervision of the HPP Manager.
- Provides input for the development and utilization of relevant databases.
- Participates in peer (record) reviews for the HPP staff (quarterly for non-privileged healthcare providers).
- Collects and reports workload data as requested by the HPP manager.
- Assists the HPP manager in developing and maintaining practice guidelines to ensure consistency of care across all HPP facilities.
- Develops and promulgates training opportunities for the HPP Staff to enhance career development, potential for advancement and to further professional expertise.